01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Vatanai Labyrinths Orkney Review 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Vatanai Labyrinths Orkney Review

34
Vatanai Orkney


Ah, Orkney.  This is one of those wraps that does it all.  It's soft and cuddly for newborns.  It's sturdy and supportive for toddlers.  It wraps easily, even for a newbie wrapper.  It's thin and moldeable, but cushy.  It has long tapers so you can tie a small, tidy knot.  As they say, this wrap, wraps itself.  It's a piece of fabric that you would like to cuddle with and read a book and sip tea with.

The ONLY thing I have against it is merely personal taste - the color is a bit "earthy" and muted for me, with a greyish brownish undertone.  I am currently more "into" the bold, bright, vibrant colors that are presently in fashion.  I like my wraps to match my outfits, and at the moment, I don't have a lot of "earthy" and "muted" in my closet.

This wrap is between a size 5 and size 6, measuring at 4.5 meters.  We aren't using long wraps as much these days, because Jax wants up, then down, then up, then down again.  Since I'm still a newbie at wrapping, it takes me a while to get everything snug and tight and even, and I don't want to go to the trouble for five minutes of being "up", or to go through all the trouble again after he wants down, then up again.  I'm on the fence with selling it or keeping it.  I would like to pet it.  It is delightful to wrap with.  We're not using it much.  So for that reason alone, it probably needs to go.  I also got a great price on it from a local mama, and I know if I sell it, then want it back at some later date, I won't get that price again.

This wrap is still available for sale brand new, as of this writing, and retails for about $140 at the length I am wearing.

The brand is Vatanai, nicknamed "Vat."  Vatanai is known for its wraps being thin and breathable, usable even in multi-layer carries in warmer weather.  We were warm in this. I couldn't wear it in the afternoon 90's we've been having.  But it would be pleasant at 70-75.  Vatanai Kipewa (which I have touched, but never owned), is supposed to be so thin and soft, that it can be used in multi-layer carries even in the heat.

Labryinths is the pattern of this wrap, and there are several different colors with this fabric content, weave, and pattern.  I like one called "Chartres" that is a grey blue with a tan gold on the reverse side.

Orkney is the name of the color I am wearing.

When wraps are brand new, they are often stiff or rough.  They require "breaking in."  This basically means breaking down the fibers until they wear down enough to become soft and pliable.  Often people wash their wraps, then dry them in the dryer (if the fabric is safe for washer / dryer), with 8-12 wool dryer balls (commonly used by people who cloth diaper, to help the diapers dry better).  The dryer balls bounce around the fabric, softening it.  Other methods of breaking in, include "braiding" the wrap (plenty of you tube videos available), pulling the fabric through a metal ring (the rings used for ring slings, which are several inches in diameter), or twisting the fabric around a stationary object like a bed post, and pulling it back and forth around the post.

Orkney is one of those wraps that doesn't really need breaking in.  It is soft, pliable, and delicious, right out of the box.  I got mine used, but I've heard they're soft right from the get-go.

I am wearing this in a double hammock carry.

Another unique feature of Vatanai wraps is the "tapers" or ends of the wrap, are very deep.  It creates a thin point at the end of the fabric.  This makes it much easier to tie a knot at the end, and it also creates a small, tidy knot.  One of the things I didn't like when I saw pictures of people wearing wraps, is these gigantic, bulky knots. Not so with this Vatanai.  Tapers are cut like this / / not like this / \.  This works to give you the length of the fabric with enough tips of the tapers to tie off in a knot.  There are some carries that don't require knots, but most do.

The other brands that are supposed to have long tapers is Ellevill (I own two, and can attest that they are VERY long tapers, and I love it), and KoKaDi (which I haven't tried yet).




Vatanai Orkney


Vatanai Orkney

Vatanai Orkney


He was getting really upset with being "up" and wanted to be "down" (mainly because we were outside and he wanted to run around and play).  I started jumping up and down because I wasn't quite done with picture yet.  These make me happy.



Labels:

35 36 37 38