01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Seventeen Weeks 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Seventeen Weeks

34




Dear Beta,

This week I feel at home, a sense of belonging, of rightness, of calm.  You belong in our family.  There is a place for you even now, in our hearts, in our bedroom, on the earth.  I feel quietness lately.  Some weeks I have felt more worry or fear.  Other weeks more excitement or anticipation.  This week, I feel still.  You are inside me.  You are not there to stay, but you are there now.

It doesn’t feel new anymore.  It just feels right.  Like the mystery and bubbliness of new romance that re-shapes into calm, deep, married love.


Your Daddy and I tent-camped this weekend, as we do each year for our anniversary.  In a few days, we will celebrate nine years of marriage, ten years of being in each other’s lives.  I adore the outdoors.  I look forward to our anniversary trip all year long.  It is  peaceful and quiet out in nature, so still.  We spend two or three or four days never knowing what time it is.  Never waking up to an alarm, or even a clock.  We wake with the sun (at least, I do!), eat when we are hungry, nap when we are sleepy, adventure when we are antsy, and rest again at night when we have had enough for one day.  Babies live like that too! 

I hope you felt our peace and joy these last few days.



 
The Lord is so good to us.  I keep thinking of good things in our lives, and realizing how little we had to do with them, how grateful we are to the Lord for His strong hand and tender gifts.

I said this week that I am happier than I’ve ever been in my life.  I know well that happy emotions aren’t always present in a meaningful life, and I don’t seek “happiness” as an ultimate goal.  I’ve lived through enough frightening times to know with God’s help, I can survive and find stability even in sadness.  But when happiness comes, deep joy welling from gratefulness and peace, it is so sweet.

Last night, your Daddy spoke to you for the first time louder than a whisper.  When he has talked to you before, for some reason he instinctively whispers.  And he usually just says, “Hello,” or “Hi, Beta, how are you doing?”  But last night, he spoke clearly in his normal voice, and introduced himself to you for the first time, “Hi Beta, this is your Daddy.  I can’t wait to meet you.  I love you.” It makes me cry every time.

You are the size of an apple this week, somewhere between four and five inches from crown to rump, and weighing around five ounces.

Underneath your skin, fat begins to accumulate.  It gives you energy, and will warm you in the cool earth air.  It is a warm ninety-eight plus degrees in your house right now (no wonder I hate being cold!), but earth air will be much colder when you arrive.  Our home will be warm, but the March air will be chill, at least for Texas.  So keep growing that cozy fat! 

Not to worry though, because sunny summer will be right around the corner!  Then, your sweat glands, which are also forming this week, will come in handy.

Your skeleton is changing from cartilage to bone, making your limbs finally proportionate to the size they will be when you are born.  From now forward, they will grow evenly.

Your digestive system has developed enough for meconium to begin accumulating in your intestines.

And finally, your brain is developing connections to your senses – sight, smell, hearing, touch, and taste.  Your eyelids are still fused shut for several more months, and your taste buds won’t form for several more weeks, but the sensory connections to your eyes and tongue are taking shape.  Your sense of touch is already developed, and hearing will be the next sense you will use.  During this coming week your outer ear will form enough for physical hearing.

And just like the Psalm says, we are telling you (so you can hear it!) about the Lord’s goodness before your birth.

“Our children will also serve Him.
Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord.
His righteous acts will be told to those not yet born.
They will hear about everything He has done.”  Psalm 22:30-31

“I will sing of the Lord’s unfailing love forever.
Young and old will hear of your faithfulness.”  Psalm 89:1

“Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting You.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to You.”  Psalm 143:8

When I searched for Bible verses about eyes and hearing, most of them were petitioning the Lord to see or hear US, not the other way around!

Psalm 94:9 asks directly, “Is He deaf – the One who made your ears?  Is He blind – the One who formed your eyes?”

No, the One who shaped your ears can hear you (Your heartbeat! Your gentle sucking sounds!), and the One who colored your eyes can see you (Brown like me?  Hazel like your daddy?  Blue like your grandpa?)  Even now you are heard, you are seen.  Beautiful.  When I cannot, it is comforting to know that He can.

Sixteen Weeks
Fifteen Weeks
Fourteen Weeks
Thirteen Weeks
Twelve Weeks
Eleven Weeks
Ten Weeks
Nine Weeks
Eight Weeks 
Seven Weeks
Six Weeks
Five Weeks
Four Weeks


tags: seventeen weeks pregnant, 17 weeks pregnant, pregnancy blog, seventeen week size, what size, fetus, fetal, development, baby, belly, praying for baby, pray 

Labels:

35 36 37 38