01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Twenty Weeks 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Twenty Weeks

34



Dear Beta,

I am astounded.  We are here: half way.

Time has flown by, and I am startled you are now about ten inches long, stretched out from head to toe.  This is the week your measurements change from crown-to-rump, to head-to-toe.  Your legs are proportionate and can extend sufficiently to be calculated into your overall measurements.

Your house, my uterus, is also about half way up my abdomen. The top of it reaches my belly button.  From here, you grow outward and upward toward my ribs.

On Friday, our midwife found your heartbeat!  We had to wait this long to hear it since we asked her to use a fetoscope instead of a doppler.  We chose the fetoscope because it is a manual device, and does not send any kind of signal into your house.  However, unlike a doppler, which can pick up the sound of your heartbeat from pretty much anywhere outside your house, the fetoscope has to be placed very close above your chest to pick up sound.

So first, the midwife felt around my belly until she found your head!  I was in shock.  Your head?!  You are big enough she could find and feel your head?!  Then it was a short distance to place the fetoscope over your chest.  Unfortunately, the fetoscope cord is short, and not long enough to reach from my belly to my ears.  The longer the cable, the more signal is lost; thus the shortest cable delivers the strongest sound.  So I didn’t get to listen to your heartbeat, but your Daddy did!

You weren’t too thrilled about the fetoscope pressing firmly into your space, so you punched it four times!  I looked at the midwife with wide eyes, and said, “Beta is punching you!”  She laughed and said, “I know!”

Your movements have been increasingly stronger and more frequent.  Sometimes you sleep quietly for a while, and awaken suddenly with strong bumps inside me, and I think to myself, “Oh, that’s right, I’m pregnant!”  Then I say out loud, “Hello, Beta!”

Our midwife says we will probably still call you, “Beta” once you are born, out of habit.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Saturday morning is our luxurious day of the week where we wake up without an alarm clock.  This weekend, you were my alarm clock (already)!  About seven in the morning, you started flipping and bumping around.  Oddly enough, that’s usually when you wake up during the week too, since I’m on the bus by then.  It’s usually the first time I feel you move each morning.  You are greeted out loud with, “Good morning, Beta!  It’s morning time!”

Saturday when you woke me, I lay in bed quietly for twenty minutes, my hands resting lightly on my abdomen, and enjoyed your calisthenics.  It was the longest space of time with the strongest movements I have felt from you.  I imagined you were in a little amusement park, and I could feel your games and coasters.  I lay still, feeling happier than I’ve ever been.



If you curled up, you would be about the size of this yellow fall squash (called a “delicata” squash!).  However, if you stretched out, you would be about the size of a banana!  You are long enough that I can sometimes feel your bumps in different areas of my belly at the same time.  A punch and a kick?  A head butt and a heel flex?

This week, your toenails and fingernails take shape, and your skin thickens.  Until now, your skin has been as delicate as tissue paper, and would tear to the touch if you were outside the womb.  By the time you are born, it will be normal, sturdy (and silky soft!) human skin.  Since your skin is growing stronger, the vernix is now very thick over it, protecting it from the amniotic waters and from the scratching of your own nails and toenails.

In your bowels, meconium is present, and will continue to accumulate as you swallow and digest prior to birth.  Some of the immunities in my body are developing as antibodies, and transferring to you.  Once you are born, drinking breast milk will give you even more of these antibodies!

Ever since your Daddy and I married, our favorite time of the day is crawling into bed at night, cuddling up close to each other, and talking a bit before we fall asleep.  Since the early weeks of your existence, this sweet nightly ritual has included you.  Every night, you get to bump your Daddy’s hands, or face, or whatever he puts close to where you are.  He usually talks to you, hums, and even sings silly tunes that he makes up on the spot.  He loves you so much already.  This is his self-portrait this week!


Friday night he and I took a dinner date to Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  Hamburgers are in your Daddy’s top five favorite foods, so this was a big treat for him.  That night, when he talked to you before we fell asleep, he asked, “So Beta, how was your FIRST Five Guys?!”  I reminded him we ate there once in my first trimester, so it was actually your second time.  “That’s TEN GUYS, Beta!”, he responded, “How did you like those ten guys burgers and fries?!”

He makes me bust up laughing ALL the time.  His silly songs to you make me laugh hysterically too.  He has recently taking to poking you to see if you will poke back.  Sometimes you do!

A friend of mine from India speaks a dialect called Punjabi.  She said in her language, “beta” means “baby” or “little child”!

This morning to celebrate Halloween, my work had a breakfast and party.  I asked the face painter to draw candy corn on my cheek.  Then I asked her for a baby candy corn too.  So on my cheek today is a little candy corn family.  Your Daddy, me, and you.



“For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.

I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”   (Ephesians 3:14-21)


I love you,

Your Mommy

P.S. I’m sure that holding you in my arms will feel even better, but right now, feeling you move inside me is the best feeling in the whole world.  I’ve never been happier.


Nineteen Weeks
Eighteen Weeks
Seventeen Weeks
Sixteen Weeks
Fifteen Weeks
Fourteen Weeks
Thirteen Weeks
Twelve Weeks
Eleven Weeks
Ten Weeks
Nine Weeks
Eight Weeks 
Seven Weeks
Six Weeks
Five Weeks
Four Weeks


tags: twenty weeks pregnant, 20 weeks pregnant, pregnancy blog, twenty week size, what size, development, fetal, fetus, baby, belly, praying for baby, pray

Labels:

35 36 37 38