01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Twenty Eight Weeks 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Twenty Eight Weeks

34


Dear Beta,

We are spending Christmas in Georgia with your Daddy’s siblings, parents, nephew and nieces.  This was your first ride in an airplane, although I doubt you could tell the difference between air travel and earth travel in your buoyant house.  You were incredibly active during the plane ride, though, so I wonder.

Yesterday was the first Christmas we spent together as three – you, me, and your Daddy.  There were already gifts waiting for you – handmade blankets, books, photo frames.  The two of us are not the only ones eagerly expecting your arrival!  By next Christmas, your official “baby’s first Christmas”, you will already be crawling.  If I remember correctly, this is the age when you will prefer sitting inside boxes and sucking on tissue paper instead of opening presents.

While on Christmas vacation, I wasn’t stuck at my desk at work.  Instead, I spent the better part of my days on my feet - walking around the neighborhood, cooking, or shopping.  As a result, you napped more during the day than usual, and became active late at night when your Daddy and I finally retired.  Your late-evening alertness was quite welcome by your Daddy, who spent extra time playing with you and talking to you.  I am convinced from your movements that you can hear him, recognize his voice, and respond to him.  He is insecure if you can or not, but that doesn’t stop him from interacting with you each evening.

A book I’m reading said by six months, your heartbeat is loud enough for a person to hear just by pressing their ear against my belly.  Your Daddy wanted to try it the minute I told him.  He was ecstatic to find he could indeed hear your heart this way!  So simple – just the human ear pressed against skin.  He has heard enough of your heartbeat in the fetoscope, and also of other baby heartbeats in sonograms, to know what sound he is listening for, and he was confident about finding and listening to it each evening.

Our relatives were excited to talk about you, feel you kick, and see how much you have grown inside me.  Your Nana Rose, Aunt April, and cousin Lauren all got to feel you kicking.  Your Grandad John said he wanted to videotape me laughing, because it makes my entire belly, and your house, shake all over!

According to averages, you are over fourteen inches long, and weigh over two pounds.  Your body is getting rounder as your bones and muscle thicken.  In another month or so, you will really plump up when you begin adding fat layers under your skin.  Currently, your body is only about two to three percent fat.  As your muscles thicken, tone improves.  This continues to be obvious from your regular, strong movements.

The day we were flew to Georgia, you had been positioned feet-down inside me for the prior two or three days.  Ever since you have been big enough for me to tell where you are laying inside me, you have primarily been head-down, angled a bit with your head slightly to my left and your feet slightly to my right side.  I’ve often had to sleep lying on my left side, since otherwise your kicking on my right side is too strong and ticklish for me to handle!  But for those three days, you had flipped, and had your feet regularly kicking my bladder and cervix instead.  I have to admit that got pretty uncomfortable.  In addition, it makes it pretty hard for your Daddy to feel you move, since the most active part of you (your feet) is not accessible to him.

The night before our trip, every time I woke up during the night, I tried to press gently on you with my palms, hoping you would feel pressure and turn.  By four am, when your Daddy got up for work, you had turned completely horizontal.  I was relieved, hoping you would turn the rest of the way by the time I awoke.  You did.  But you turned back the way you came, ending feet down again!

On my bus ride to work, I tried again to gently press you, but you seemed completely content to stay put.  I prayed under my breath, begging you to please turn around, since I was dreading being on the airplane with you in that uncomfortable position.  Suddenly I felt you pushing and slipping inside me, and for the next thirty minutes of my bus ride, you slowly turned around, little by little, so your head was again down, and your feet bumping against to my upper right side.  I was so happy!  Thank you for being so cooperative!

Twenty Eight 28 Weeks Pregnant


Twenty Eight 28 Weeks Pregnant
 
Often now I can feel the shape of your little foot pressing out slightly on my upper right side.  You don’t even have to be kicking for me to feel it – just the weight of your foot resting quietly presses enough for me to feel it with my hand.  While your house still has some growing to do, this is a reminder that you will gradually become more and more crowded until you finally outgrow your house and enter the wide, wide world.

Hair on your head is now clearly visible (unless you are born bald!), and your eyebrows and eyelashes are fully formed.  I can’t wait to photograph your sweet, wispy eyelashes!

Under your gums, your baby teeth, or “milk teeth” as they are often called, are developing.  They won’t come through your gums until several months after your birth, but you won’t need them for a while anyway!  Your food supply for the first several months of your outside-my-body life will still come from my food and body.  At twenty eight weeks, that food, colostrum, is already formed and waiting for you!

The branches of your lungs are now developed and capable of breathing oxygenated air, not just the fluid you continue inhaling now.

Your eyes can move easily inside their sockets now, which means we could detect you entering REM sleep.  This deep sleep is detectable by scientists because of REM (rapid eye movement), and is keenly important to brain and body function and growth, even in grown adults.  I am still trying to figure out when, or if, you sleep, since you are supposed to have twenty to thirty minute sleep/wake cycles!

The Lord is always watching over us because He never sleeps.

“I lift up my eyes to the mountains — where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip — He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.”  (Psalm 121:1-4)

Because of His watchful eye, we can sleep peacefully.  In fact, He gives us sweet sleep.

“In peace I will lie down and sleep,
   for You alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.”  (Psalm 4:8)

“But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
I call out to the LORD, and He answers me from His holy mountain.
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side.”   (Psalm 3:3-6)
However, the Bible warns us not to sleep our lives away lazily, throwing away time that should be used wisely.

“Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless go hungry.”  (Proverbs 19:15)

“Do not love sleep or you will grow poor;
   stay awake and you will have food to spare.”  (Proverbs 20:13)

Restful sleep is a gift (so take it now, and please take it again when you arrive earthside!).

“In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat —
   for He grants sleep to those He loves.”  (Psalm 127:2)

“My child, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
   preserve sound judgment and discretion;
   they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.
Then you will go on your way in safety,
   and your foot will not stumble.
When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
   when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Have no fear of sudden disaster
   or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
For the LORD will be at your side
   and will keep your foot from being snared.”  (Proverbs 3:21-26)


Twenty Seven Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Six Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Five Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Four Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Three Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Two Weeks Pregnant
Twenty One Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Weeks Pregnant
Nineteen Weeks Pregnant
Eighteen Weeks Pregnant
Seventeen Weeks Pregnant
Sixteen Weeks Pregnant
Fifteen Weeks Pregnant
Fourteen Weeks Pregnant
Thirteen Weeks Pregnant
Twelve Weeks Pregnant
Eleven Weeks Pregnant
Ten Weeks Pregnant
Nine Weeks Pregnant
Eight Weeks Pregnant
Seven Weeks Pregnant
Six Weeks Pregnant
Five Weeks Pregnant
Four Weeks Pregnant




tags: twenty eight weeks pregnant 28 weeks pregnant pregnancy blog, twenty eight week size, what size, twenty eight 28 week fetal development, fetus, baby, belly, praying for baby, pray

Labels:

35 36 37 38