01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Twenty Nine Weeks 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Twenty Nine Weeks

34

Dear Beta,

Christmas has come and gone, and now it is a brand new year.  The year in which you will be born!  In 2002, your Daddy and I said, “Forever” and became a couple.  In 2012, our together-forever multiplies, and we become a family.

At the gym this week, I was sitting down changing into gym clothes, and looked down at my bare belly.  Round and soft, whiter than the rest of my skin since it hasn’t seen much sun, the skin stretching thinner each day, a dark spot on my protruding belly button and a dark line down the center.  A pregnant belly with all the shapes and colors that say “baby growing inside.”  I wrapped my arms tightly around its roundness and cried.  I couldn’t be more grateful to be carrying you.  I couldn’t be more beautiful than to wear your shape.  I couldn’t be more happy than enjoying who you are today, and praying for who you will become.

This week I heard your heartbeat for the very first time!  One of the birth books I’m reading said by six months, a baby’s heartbeat can be detected with a standard stethoscope.  I knew we would see our midwife soon and she would have a stethoscope, but I couldn’t wait.  And I wanted to be able to listen to you (safely) whenever I like.  So your Daddy helped me look on Amazon, and we found one for surprisingly cheap, considering it is a professional medical device.

The day we arrived home from Georgia, the stethoscope arrived in the mail.  It took about two seconds to rip open the box, and three minutes to read the instructions (since neither of us have the first clue about using a medical stethoscope).  I felt around your house until I found your torso (in your usual spot).  Your Daddy tested it out first, since he has heard your heart in the fetoscope and knew what he was listening for.  After fiddling with the device a bit, it didn’t take him long until he smiled and handed the earpieces over to me.  Then I heard you.  Your strong, fast-beating heart.  I cried then too.

Not surprisingly, you punched or elbowed the stethoscope several times, just like you do with Robin’s fetoscope.  We don’t have to press it very hard into my belly, about a half inch, but that is enough for you to notice it and try to bump it out of your space!

We listened to my heartbeat as well, and it is amazing how slow it is in comparison.  Your heart sounds almost as twice as fast as mine (when I’m resting).  It’s like you’re running a little marathon in there all the time!

Your heart beats quickly because it is smaller in size.  The smaller the heart, the faster it beats.  An adult marathon runner has a heart which has grown slightly through training.  While asleep, his or her heart may beat as slow as 35-40 beats per minute!  Once you are born, your little lungs will also be small, and thus will expand and contract more quickly in order to supply your body with oxygen.  Between birth and one year old, your heart will continue to beat between 100 and 160 beats per minute while resting.  Between one and ten years old, your resting heart rate will slow slightly to between 60 to 140 beats per minute.  Most adults will have a resting heart rate between 60 and 100, depending on age and cardiovascular fitness level.  Perhaps this is one explanation for the incredible energy that children have in contrast to adults!

 
Your first outfits are ready and sitting on a shelf in our bedroom with your hats.  I have a couple different outfits depending on what size you are when you are born.  I have just a few preemie size items that were given to us, but those are in a “just in case” box in your room.  I don’t expect to need them, so what is prepared for you is standard newborn size.  They should fit you if you are between seven and nine pounds.

You have hiccups frequently now, usually once or twice a day.  Last night your Daddy got to feel the gentle, rhythmic tap of your body as you hiccup.

This week I noticed your house starting to tense and loosen, training and strengthening my muscles so they will be prepared to push you into the world.  It’s like doing lightweight bicep curls over and over and over again, so when it’s time to dead lift a heavy weight, the muscles are strong and ready.  It doesn’t hurt at all, and many times I don’t even notice unless I touch my belly and feel its firmness.  I first noticed because it often gets firm just in certain areas, creating a round, extruded shape like a tennis ball is trying to exit my skin.  It makes my belly look lopsided, or like there’s a big softball in one spot.  If you touch it, it is hard like a rock.  After a few seconds, it softens, and my belly goes back to its normal roundness.

Twenty Nine 29 Weeks Pregnant


Twenty Nine 29 Weeks Pregnant


We met with Robin, our midwife, and her assistants again this week.  Your house measured thirty one centimeters.  You punched the fetoscope.  Again.  And Again.  And made Robin laugh.  Your heart rate was 144 (it was also 144 in November, and 148 the very first time she heard it in October).  “Old wives tales” say a baby with a heart rate consistently above 140 is a girl.  We will see!

No matter what gender you are, we know for sure you will be a person who loves to play.  If your current activity is any indication, I expect you to be a person who loves the outdoors, playgrounds, camping, maybe sports, and pretty much anything where you can run around and be active.

Most of this week, you’ve been relatively still during the evenings when your Daddy is trying to play with you.  Two nights ago, you were up around two a.m., the most active you’ve been all week.  If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were trying to kick right through me!  It was like an aerobic gymnastics class was going on in the dead of night!  Last night when we went to sleep, at first you were still again, and I thought your Daddy was going to be disappointed since you haven’t been awake too much for his evening chat with you.  I pushed around on you a bit (which doesn’t always work), and said, “Hey baby, please wake up and play with your Daddy.”  He responded, “Yeah, Beta, come on, it’ll be fun!”

Clearly “fun” was the key word, because you woke shortly after and spent at least thirty minutes flipping, punching, kicking, and flopping around.  I call it “earthquake baby” when your entire body moves so much it looks like an earthquake under my skin. There aren’t distinct bumps in any one spot, just a ripple and rolling all over, shaking my entire belly at once.

Your Daddy’s favorite game to play with you right now is “One Two Three Tickle!”  He counts slowly to three, then tickles his fingers on my skin over the last place he felt you move.  Often, you will bump him back in response.  His favorite nickname for you is “Goofy” or “Goofball.”  It’s a term of endearment he uses for other children (and animals) as well, but he calls you this almost as frequently as he calls you “Beta.”

After he spent almost thirty minutes talking to you and tickling your feet, he and I cuddled together, belly, to belly, and for another ten or fifteen minutes, you kicked and bumped his belly all the way through mine!  We were both giggling.

Eventually I moved so I could fall asleep, but you wouldn’t let me!  Another twenty minutes or so later, your Daddy sleepily asked, “Is Beta still awake?”  “Oh yes,” I replied.  He reached across the pillows I had bunched between my knees and arms, and laid his palm on my belly.  He fell asleep that way, still holding onto you.

You now weigh about two and a half pounds, and are approximately fifteen inches long!  Your head is quickly growing bigger to accommodate your enlarging brain, which is developing billions of neurons!

Because those neurons are appearing, they are increasing your senses and abilities.  You could respond to pain.  You can taste, and may already have preferences and dislikes.  Your eyes have even greater sensitivity to light, can distinguish bright sunlight from a darkened room, and may be able to follow a blinking light.  Your ears and brain connections work together so you can distinguish commonly-heard sounds and voices.

Under your gums, your “baby” teeth, or milk teeth, have developed, and the buds of your “adult” or permanent teeth will begin forming.  Your bones are fully developed in size now, but are still soft and pliable.  Also under your skin is the beginning of your “white fat.”  Your “brown fat” is already in place, and is responsible for body temperature regulation.  White fat makes skin plump, and provides energy.

This week, I pray that as your physical heart beats so strongly, so your spiritual heart will also beat strongly for the Lord.

“Do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own. As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your HEART; consider what great things he has done for you.”  (1 Samuel 12:20-24)

“But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not consider his appearance or his height… The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the HEART.’ ”  (1 Samuel 16:7)

“Lord, the God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on earth below—You who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeHEARTedly in Your way. You have kept Your promise to your servants [my father / mother]; with Your mouth You have promised and with Your hand You have fulfilled it—as it is today.”  (1 Kings 8:23-24)

 “Submit to God and be at peace with Him; in this way prosperity will come to you.
   Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your HEART.
   Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God.
   You will pray to Him, and He will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows.”
(Job 22:21, 22, 26, 27)

“LORD, You alone are my portion and my cup;
   You make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
   surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
   even at night my HEART instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
   With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
   my body also will rest secure,
because You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
   nor will You let your faithful one see decay.
You make known to me the path of life;
   You will fill me with joy in Your presence,
   with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.”  (Psalm 16:5-11)

“The law of the LORD is perfect,
   refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
   making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right,
   giving joy to the HEART.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
   giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is pure,
   enduring forever.
The decrees of the LORD are firm,
   and all of them are righteous.   (Psalm 19:7-10)


Twenty Eight Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Seven Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Six Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Five Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Four Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Three Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Two Weeks Pregnant
Twenty One Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Weeks Pregnant
Nineteen Weeks Pregnant
Eighteen Weeks Pregnant
Seventeen Weeks Pregnant
Sixteen Weeks Pregnant
Fifteen Weeks Pregnant
Fourteen Weeks Pregnant
Thirteen Weeks Pregnant
Twelve Weeks Pregnant
Eleven Weeks Pregnant
Ten Weeks Pregnant
Nine Weeks Pregnant
Eight Weeks Pregnant
Seven Weeks Pregnant
Six Weeks Pregnant
Five Weeks Pregnant
Four Weeks Pregnant




tags: twenty nine weeks pregnant 29 weeks pregnant pregnancy blog, twenty nine week size, what size, twenty nine 29 week fetal development, fetus, baby, belly, praying for baby, pray

Labels:

35 36 37 38