01 02 03 Down In My Heart Joy!: Thirty Weeks 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Thirty Weeks

34

Dear Beta,



I keep wanting to call it the next decade, although it isn’t really.  It’s just the next block of ten.  At this point, we have completed three blocks of ten, and have only one block remaining.  We could almost be counting down instead of up.  Except we can’t count down from your birth date, since you have yet to announce it.  So, we just keep counting up.



But it does feel sort of like a tenth birthday, or twentieth, or thirtieth, where a new round number enters the picture, and a new digit begins the number, and you feel old and young at the same time.  All grown up and yet so far to go.



But thirty weeks is definitely entering the downhill slope.  We will go another “decade” most likely, and nearly as likely, days or weeks past the next decade.  Research has revealed that the guy who decided on the 40-week gestational bell curve actually ran his numbers wrong, and the peak of the bell curve is 41 weeks two days.  One more reason why we’re letting you come when you’re ready.  One more reason why I will do my very best not to be anxious as the weeks and days come and go and yet we wait for you.



But we’re not there yet, so the waiting is easier.



Because of certain prayers and dreams we’ve had, your Daddy and I both have an inclination as to your gender.  It’s a little secret we keep between ourselves.  Because in the end, we are so joyful to welcome you into our arms, whether you arrive boy or girl.



I closed my eyes on the bus today to rest, and pictured the end of our labor, when you will emerge and your Daddy and I will hold you tightly for the very first time.  The image was black and white for some reason.  We were both in the birth tub, facing each other.  I was squatting deeply, as we learned in our class, hanging onto your Daddy, then reaching down to feel with my fingertips your tiny head emerging into the water.  First your head, then your body, slipping from water to water, then into the middle of our embrace.  We laugh.  We cry. We give thanks.  We forget to see what hides between your legs because we can’t stop laughing and crying, and making sure you breathe.



These images are what I hold onto when I wonder about the pain, when I think about what to tell myself when I am facing the hardest part of your journey.  I want to think back to these images, to remember the tears that slipped down my cheeks when I imagined meeting you, and hang onto the vision of you in my arms, letting it help my body and your body bring you into the world.



As I think again about this image of birth, suddenly I laugh.  Your Daddy, ever the one to keep things light and laughter-filled, may not react in such a dramatic manner as I have pictured.  In fact, I can imagine you emerging… He smiles when he sees you, then in an unwavering voice, declares, “Her name is LaRonda,” or “His name is Donavancino.”  Then everyone laughs, relief in the air and belly laughs spreading throughout the room as our tension is released.  Except you.  You will scream, which will make us happy, and your Daddy will promise that is not your real name and tell you it’s okay, Goofy, you don’t have to cry.



This week your Daddy and I attended our first Bradley birthing class.  There are eleven classes, which we will complete in ten weeks.  We are one of nine couples taking the class.  We are the furthest along in our pregnancy, with several others days behind us, but that has no bearing on when our babies will decide to arrive!  My parents also took Bradley birthing classes when they were pregnant with me!



This week we heard about the history of the Bradley method.  Then we learned and practiced several exercises and relaxation techniques we will use for the next months until you arrive, to help get my body ready.  Your Daddy is going to be a great birth coach.  He is so gentle and loving with me, and I think we will work together beautifully.  We now have exercises we’re supposed to do every night before bed, which we have added to our nightly routine of talking and playing with you.


Thirty 30 weeks pregnant



Thirty 30 Weeks Pregnant

Sonograms at this stage, especially three dimensional ones, distinctly reveal baby’s features.  You can see if they have a broad, wide nose, or a tiny button nose.  If they have full lips or thin lips.  If they like to hold their hand next to their face, or if they like to play with their umbilical cord.  It is so amazing.



I asked our midwife about some of the spasm-type movements I’ve felt from you, and she mentioned that sometimes babies play with their own umbilical cords.  They may grasp tightly enough to cut off circulation to their own bodies, then jerk or spasm when their little brain says “Need. More. Oxygen. Now!”, forcing their grip to release and their body to twitch or jerk in response to the temporary cut-off and release.



According to averages, you are now sixteen inches long and weigh three pounds!  You will gain about half a pound per week from now through birth.  Ideally, I hope you weigh at least eight pounds, as then you will be healthy and strong!  Your feet are about two and a half inches long, and your head is about three and a half inches in diameter.



As your head continues growing, your brain develops in sync with the newfound space surrounding it.  Until now, the surface of your brain was smooth.  Beginning this week, it is acquiring grooves and indentations.  This wrinkling creates additional surface area, allowing more brain tissue to accumulate.



Your skin is getting smoother and less wrinkly, as your white body fat increases.  The early lanugo (downy fine hair) that used to cover your skin, will begin to disappear, as the insulation it provided is exchanged for fat insulation.  Your body can control its own temperature now, although once you are born, it will take about twenty four hours for you to regulate your body temperature in the new out-of-water environment.



Your bone marrow is now responsible for red blood production.  Previously, various tissue and your spleen were performing this job, but this task has now permanently transitioned to the bone marrow.  Calcium, phosphorus, and iron are now stored in your blood and body cells.



More frequent REM sleep indicates that you may be able to dream!  Your Daddy has dreamed about you a lot this week, so I wonder if you can dream about us.



Your eyes can produce tears!  You may spend a lot of time with your eyes open, but your eyesight is not very keen, and won’t be even after birth.  By the time of birth, you can only see about eighteen inches in front of your face.  As you grow in the outside world, your vision will gradually sharpen.



Your development that has previously been concentrated on adding new body parts, is shifting to development focused primarily on weight gain.  Your sudden demand for MORE FOOD has been keeping me busy trying to make sure I have snacks with me at all times, and I consume enough good nutrients throughout the day for both of us.  I have been hungry more frequently, even between what I would consider substantial meals, so I’ve started snacking lightly between meals.  My weight gain slowed down in the last couple weeks more than I would like, so I’m guessing you are ramping up your caloric demands.  I am working to change my eating a bit, to feed us more, to keep up with appropriate weight gain for both of us. 



We watched a TED video last night that talked about when human learning begins.  Turns out it doesn’t begin in school, or even at birth.  It begins shortly after conception, and is especially pronounced during a baby’s third trimester in-utero.  Studies have proven that adults’ bodies and minds were physically altered by events that occurred to their mother while she was pregnant with them.  The video was fascinating, and reminded me how beautiful it is to be joyfully expecting you.  So grateful to live in a country and family where I have enough to eat, so your body does not learn starvation even before birth.   So thankful to live in a marriage and family and circle of friends where I can have a pregnancy filled with peace and laughter, so your body does not develop genetic markers for trauma and suffering.  What gifts we have.  I feel so blessed.



Yesterday at church, the aunt of one of our close friends was visiting from Panama.  She put her hands on my skin outside where you are and hugged me.  Then she looked deeply into my eyes, and deeply at your house, and said slowly, “This will be a child who is made for greatness.”



You are descended from many generations of greatness.  Farmers, missionaries, presidents, pastors, and more.  This is the beauty of blessing that passes through generations of those who fear the Lord.  I pray this is captured by you and your generation, that the legacy of the Lord’s greatness in our family will be continued by you, your children, your grandchildren, their grandchildren.  It is the only hope for our world.



“Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!” (Deuteronomy 5:29)



“Keep His decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God gives you for all time.”  (Deuteronomy 4:40)



“So that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all His decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life.” (Deuteronomy 6:2)



“This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19)



“So on that day Moses swore to me, ‘The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.’ “  (Joshua 14:9)



And should you ever stray from Him, or find yourself far away in confusion, wondering how it came to be that the Lord cannot seem to be found, it is never too late to return.



“If you return to the LORD, then your fellow Israelites and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will return to this land, for the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to Him.”  (2 Chronicles 30:9)


Twenty Nine Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Eight Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Seven Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Six Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Five Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Four Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Three Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Two Weeks Pregnant
Twenty One Weeks Pregnant
Twenty Weeks Pregnant
Nineteen Weeks Pregnant
Eighteen Weeks Pregnant
Seventeen Weeks Pregnant
Sixteen Weeks Pregnant
Fifteen Weeks Pregnant
Fourteen Weeks Pregnant
Thirteen Weeks Pregnant
Twelve Weeks Pregnant
Eleven Weeks Pregnant
Ten Weeks Pregnant
Nine Weeks Pregnant
Eight Weeks Pregnant
Seven Weeks Pregnant
Six Weeks Pregnant
Five Weeks Pregnant
Four Weeks Pregnant




tags: thirty weeks pregnant 30 weeks pregnant pregnancy blog, thirty week size, what size, thirty 30 week fetal development, fetus, baby, belly, pregnant belly, praying for baby, pray

Labels:

35 36 37 38